Read AMH reviews here with extracts at Trailblazer Guides in the UK from whom you can also buy the book post free anywhere by clicking the button on the right. Or just enjoy reading plenty of other AM-related stuff behind the menu bar above.
‘Adventure motorcycling’ (a term I’m credited with coining in the late 90s) has grown massively since the last edition. Now in it’s third decade, the much revised and expanded AMH6.1 catches up with all of it, covering among other things:
• planning, sponsorship, riding seasons, fuel prices
• bike choice and recommended models
• the gear: what you need, not what you can buy
• a section on road legal quad bikes from the Quad Squad
• Life on the Road: borders,comms, police trouble, satnav, filming and moto troubleshooting
• Comprehensive overland route outlines in Africa, Asia and Latin America – aka: the Adventure Motorcycling Zone • Contributions from among others: Lois Pryce, Walter Colebatch, Gaurav Jani, Grant Johnson and many other two-wheel adventurers. Illustrations by Simon Roberts and maps by Nick Hill
Now with nearly 200 extra pages, AMH6.1 no longer assumes you’re an experienced tourer who’s decided to take off to the outer limits. Many AM riders are much like Ted Simon was in 1970s; individuals in search of adventure who choose a motorcycle.
Readers aren’t expected to have an in-depth knowledge of mechanics, travel health or navigation, so there are fuller explanations of how things work and why certain choices are worthwhile, as well as a comprehensive listing on troubleshooting. This now makes AMH6 as much a take-with book as one to consult during the planning stage.
But I don’t claim to know it all. No one can, so what really makes AMH special is that it features over 30 globetrotting contributors covering regions, topics or their specialist knowledge in detail.That – as well as some good jokes – is what helps make the Adventure Motorcycling Handbook the legendary book it’s become after nearly 30 years in print.
AMH6: everything you need to know, in one book.
The following businesses support AMH6 by advertising or providing products in exchange for advertising.